Monday, June 6, 2011

Kenya eve departure

The last day before any trip is full of all those last minute things you want to make sure you dont forget to do.  I think I got them all done.  It doesnt stop your head from buzzing though.  Its been a very emotional day full of final goodbyes. Kissing my boys was the hardest--knowing they dont know I wont be coming back, wondering at what point they will sit at Rita's door and look for my car to pull into the drive.  I will certainly miss watching Kahlua go duck hunting on the canal and Cognac stroll the path with his nose stuck to the ground checking for pals that have pawed the route before him.  I worry that Cognac will live for me to nuzzle his muzzle one more time.

But I cant worry about that any more. Bags are packed and loaded up--hope TSA doesnt open them cause I dont know if they will be willing to sit on them to get them shut again.  I can imagine seeing my "big girl panties" circling the conveyor belt with socks, mosquito netting and wet wipes. I might have to let someone else claim that bag!

Lots of tears over the last few days but know they come with lots of love and joy for my new journey.  I have not a drip of fear--except wondering how long it will take me to have some mastery of Swahili. Ive been practicing the alphabet (24 letters) and numbers. Boy those words are long!! Such a mouthful just to say a few words.

Tomorrow will be a day long orientation in Philly with 56 other newbies and then Tuesday will be lots of shots at the health clinic before heading to JFK for our flight. Nonstop to Brussels (8.5 hrs) and after a two hour layover its on to Nairobi (10.5 hrs).  Gonna be a helluva long day.

Nite nite fellow termites. Stay tuned. Kisses to all and dont forget to kiss your loved ones.
By the way, all posts are done on Kenya time zone.
Ta

No comments:

Post a Comment